You want to do something fun with your daughter—but WHAT?
Here are just a few of the dozens of ideas in our book The Dads & Daughters Togetherness Guide: 54 Fun Activities to Help Build a Great Relationship by best-selling fathering author (and Dads & Daughters President) Joe Kelly.
1. Do six impossible things before breakfast. Pop into your local diner or café for a father-daughter sit down breakfast. Before the food comes, you each dream up six impossible things. From riding flying horses to lifting up the seat cushion to find a secret door to China , this creative thinking exercise stimulates fun conversation and, chances are, you’ll still be talking about it when you’re walking or driving back home.
2. Build an edible bridge. Use marshmallows, pretzel sticks, and gumdrops to construct a miniature bridge—and get a fun physics lesson. Test the bridge’s strength by stacking cookies and crackers on top. Then eat your building materials when the bridge collapses!
3. Take a drive to nowhere. Turn off the radio and let her navigate. You may be surprised what you find in your very own town! Leave time to make fun stops at tag sales or other interesting landmarks.
4. Make a Top Ten list. You write down 10 important things you want your daughter to know before she grows up. She lists 10 important things she wants to learn about you and your life before she moves away. The resulting conversations create life-long memories.
5. Let her be the coach. Ask her to teach you how to do something she is talented at. Your daughter’s self-esteem will grow as she shows you how to make origami cranes, weave friendship bracelets, or create a podcast.
6. Write a story together. Whether in person, over the Internet, or via old-fashioned snail mail, take turns creating a story. She writes a section, then you move the plot and characters along for a section, then she takes it back for the next stretch. Add illustrations, too. A perfect togetherness activity for dads and daughters who don’t live in the same place.
7. Get your own copy of The Dads & Daughters Togetherness Guide, the ultimate rain-or-shine resource for girls and their dads and stepdads.
Get more resources for fathering daughters at www.DadsandDaughters.org!
DADs: Making the world safe and fair for our daughters